[wisb] Lake Park, Milwaukee, 6/3/11 - Six woodpecker day

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 09:08:27 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday was pretty slow at Milwaukee's Lake Park...maybe 10-15 species total.
Slow enough that I didn't really feel like keeping a list.

But the woodpeckers made it interesting. It's been a while since I've seen six
woodpecker species in a single outing. Here they are:

* Red-headed Woodpecker - Been seeing one quite a bit lately along the Locust
Street Ravine. Lately it's been hanging out south of the playground. I think
they are really striking birds in flight, especially when you can view them at
an angle where you can see the full white on the wings. It's been a special
treat getting to see this bird, as I don't have much of a history with
Red-headed Woodpeckers.

* Red-bellied Woodpecker - Haven't been seeing Red-bellieds much this spring.
Hear them occasionally. This was a very common yard bird when I lived in
southern Indiana.

* Yellow-bellied Sapucker - Always throws me off to see one in warmer weather.
They were usually cold weather birds in southern Indiana.

* Northern Flicker

* Downy Woodpecker

* Hairy Woodpecker

Bernie Sloan