[wisb] Lake Park, Milwaukee, 6/22/11 - Turkey, Red-headed Woodpecker

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:43:34 -0700 (PDT)

I went birding in Lake Park today after the morning rains stopped. Beautiful
weather after a rather gray bout of rainy weather. Ran into a friendly birder
from Washington State and she and I birded together for a bit.

A few highlights:

* Caught a brief glimpse of a Wild Turkey hen after the Washington birder and I
parted ways near the Warming House. The turkey was in the same area as my other
turkey sightings. Locust Street Ravine, general vicinity of the iron bridge.

* Saw a Red-headed Woodpecker at the suet feeder by the Wolcott statue. It was
there when I first came to the park, and there again when I left.

* Saw/heard a Killdeer pass overhead. First one I've seen in awhile.

* Looks like lawn bowling season is underway at Lake Park. :-) See:
http://bit.ly/ma3kyP

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee