[wisb] Lake Park, Milwaukee, 5/31

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 10:22:48 -0700 (PDT)

Not a lot of variety in terms of species, but a few items of interest:

* Olive-sided Flycatcher. 2011 BIGBY species #181. (What's a BIGBY? See:
http://bit.ly/iDHq3D).

* Lots of American Goldfinches along the top edges of the ravines, and down at
the bottoms of the ravines getting water. I'm estimating I saw 50 in all. Quite
a few males in bright breeding plumage, foraging right next to each other.
Could these be migrating birds?

* Quite a few Red-eyed Vireos up in the canopy. It took me a while to visually
verify them because the sound seemed a little different. I'd almost swear that
the birds I'm used to in Indiana had a southern accent compared to the vireos
up here. :-)

* Several singing Indigo Buntings. I like to watch these birds sing. Their blue
coloring is very striking, and they really throw themselves into their songs.

* Six Eastern Bluebirds. Maybe the most I've seen in one outing at Lake Park.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee