[wisb] Lake Michigan today (Milwaukee south)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:29:28 -0500

Clearly, our group from Madison should have started at Harrington Beach, but we
went to Bradford Beach/North Point first and worked our way down to Racine.
Bradford was very quiet, so we went up to North Point - also pretty quiet.  We
did run into Jym Mooney, who had just seen a swallow with a buffy rump over the
Lake Park bluff.  We watched a small group of four Barn and one Tree Swallow
working the trees, but never did refind the other one.

The Texas Ave. overlook had lots of Coots, duck hunters' decoys, and a
Peregrine on the breakwall to the north. There were a couple of Black Ducks off
the yacht club parking lot.  I foolishly passed up stopping at Sheridan Park
and went down to South Metro (parking lot and stairs open.)  There were a lot
of gulls on the beach, including a couple of interesting ones that we tried
like heck to turn into a California and a Little, respectively, but no dice
(the small one had a tumor or deformity on its left foot.)  Aside from a dozen
or so Bonaparte's and two Herring Gulls, the large majority were Ring-bills.
Only passerines were a bunch of Yellow-rumps and one or two Am. Tree Sparrows.

At Wind Point in Racine, we got there just as the Hoy Audubon group was
breaking up.  After yakking with some of them for a while, we scoped the lake
and saw a few Horned Grebes.  There was an interesting loon that John Romano
thought might be a Pacific, but we had only intermittent looks before it
disappeared.  The lame Baird's SP that the Hoy group told us about was still
down the beach.

After my sense of direction went awry and we worked our way through a Hwy 11
detour, we stopped at the So. Kettle Moraine St. Forest to hike a bit for
birds.  The Emma Carlin Trail was pretty busy, so went on the nearby Stutz
Springs Trail instead.  The first fifty yards from the parking lot was full of
birds - quite a few White-throats, GC Kinglets, Br. Creepers, both Nuthatches,
two or three woodpecker spp., etc.  A bit farther on the trail, we flushed two
or three Hermit Thrushes and a bunch of Juncos.  By the springs, we had a Field
and probable Lincoln's Sparrows.  On the way back to the car, we picked up Song
and Fox, too.  Also had a Cooper's Hawk soar over.

On the way back to Madison, we stopped briefly at the London Rd. parking lot
for Zeloski Marsh in Jefferson Co.  We saw an adult Bald Eagle and at least
three No. Harriers over the marsh.  There was a pair of swans far out on the
flowage - most likely Trumpeters.

Even though we pretty much whiffed on notable birds, it was still a very nice
day out.  Thanks to "Juan" Romano, Jim "Hawkeye" Schwarz and Jim "Eagle Eyes"
Otto for forming the posse.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI