[wisb] Lake Michigan today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 20:42:41 -0600

Jim Otto and I went over to Lake Michigan today.  We went via Horicon Marsh,
where we spotted a Snowy Owl way out to the north of Hwy 49, more towards the
east end.  There were several Red-tails perched in the sun in the trees to the
north, and a couple of Rough-legs flying around.  We cruised Point Rd., and had
a pair of each hawk north of N. Point and at least seven more Rough-legs over
Bud Cook Hiking Area.  I'd hate to be a small rodent there...  The house at the
corner of N. Point and County Z had a lot of Common Redpolls and other birds at
the feeders in back.

Started along the lake at North Point in Sheboygan, which had mostly the usual
suspects, including a couple of Great Black-backed Gulls by the parking lot,
and a lone Glaucous flying out over the lake north of the gazebo.  The Carolina
Wren was singing on the south side of the bluff below the big house, but we
could not spot it.  The harbor had mostly Common Goldeneye and C. Mergansers -
lots of ice in the river.

At Kohler-Andrae, there was a Red-throated Loon way out off the South Beach
parking lot.  Very active feeder, so it was tough to get on it between dives.
The entrance feeders had tons of BC Chickadees and a few C. Redpolls, plus
other common birds.  There was very little at the end of County D by Harrington
Beach.  Jim finally found a scoter just south of the rocky point - it was an
immature and we went around on it until we got back to the car and could look
at Sibley.  The conclusion was a first-winter male Black Scoter, which was not
a plumage I'm used to - very brown, with a rounded head and smallish bill.

We made a quick stop at Port Washington, and had all three mergansers and tons
of Canada Geese in the harbor.  We didn't spot a Peregrine by the power plant,
but it was getting late and the wind was cold.  There were a lot of gulls way
out that seemed to be coming in for the evening - otherwise, very few in the
harbor when we were there.

Cold, cold day to be along the lake...

Peter Fissel
Madison WI