[wisb] Lake Michigan birds

  • From: "K. Hilary Ford" <khilaryf32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doorcobirding <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 14:26:03 -0500

Saturday birded the big Lake for the first time since it has opened.
 Unfortunately I was returning from some volunteer service and only had
binoculars.
Appleport Rd had well over 50 Bonaparte Gulls both actively feeding in the
shallow water and flying and diving as well.
Though too far to ID there were Tern sp.
Waters End had a fishing boat stocking up or unloading and every Herring
Gull on the lake (probably) was standing around the docks or just on the
shoreline waiting for handouts.  Further out were some waterfowl but needed
a scope.  Rowley's Bay had a Grebe sp. but most waterfowl were too far out
- No Swans obs
.
Have searched on the HY. for signs of the Northern H. Owl and have not seen
it both yesterday and today.
Feeder birds: multitudes of Juncos for several days since the last snow
blanketed everything in the yard with new 4" - now largely melted.  2 Fox
Sparrows, Chipping Sp. Song Sp. and White Throated have been here for about
4 days (W,T.) to a week.  Birds were so hungry we put out extra seed in
pans!  Robins were gathering on the remaining crabs pulling off anything
that was probably very hard but edible!

Today hardly any Juncos, and have observed large flocks of small birds
flying into the woods here and on the road to town. - hard to I.D. in
moving car.

Saw a possible Kinglet in the woods here.  Two Tree Swallows flying over
prairie here two days ago.
Hilary Ford, Door CO Ellison Bay.