[wisb] Lake Farm Park (Dane Co.) this a.m.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 12:19:28 -0500

About 8 folks showed up for the Nine Springs/Lake Farm "flex" trip this
morning.  I went over to Lake Farm to scout beforehand and it seemed fairly
birdy around the parking lot.  Coupled with some less-than-enthusiastic reports
I'd gotten from birders who had been to Nine Springs recently (especially
regarding the complete lack of shorebird habitat,) I figured we'd be better off
over by the lake.  The disadvantage is the mosquitoes - if you go to Lake Farm,
take bug spray.

Things were pretty quiet overall, but we did hit a few nice pockets of warblers
and managed to eke out ten species among the group, including a couple of Cape
Mays, Magnolias, Black-throated Green and Nashville.  Lots of Tennessees and
scads of Yellow-rumps.  Also had Gray-cheeked, Swainson's and Hermit Thrushes
(singles of each,) and Yellow-billed Cuckoo for the trip highlight.  No
sparrows to speak of, except Song and Swamp.  Some of the participants had an
Osprey over the lake, and I had a Cooper's Hawk when I was scouting before the
walk started.  We ended up with just under 40 species overall.

The bike path which will eventually go to McFarland on a bridge next to the
railroad trestle/dike is in the early stages of construction.  Unfortunately,
this has meant a lot of brush-clearing in some of what had been the best spots
at Lake Farm for birds in migration.  Progress marches on...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.