[wisb] Re: King Eider

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tiede, Darwin" <DTiede@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:20:40 -0600

Hi All,
Dar Tiede asked for some parking recommendations for the area in which the
King Eider has been seen, so I figured I could share with everyone, since
many people are likely not familiar with this busy part of the Milwaukee
lake shore.

Downtown Milwaukee is pretty busy, and parking can be tight.  The eider is
directly east of the art museum, which is not in the most convenient
location to get to.  A man made rock pile sits in the water just east of
the museum, and the eider has been hanging out near this, or to the
immediate north of this pile.

There are a few parking spots on the street directly across from the
Discovery World on the far east end of Michigan Street.  It is metered,
though, so bring change.  If you plan on being there before 8 am meters are
free.  If you're lucky, there may be some free parking on Harbor Drive
directly west side of the Discovery World, but these usually fill up early,
because they are the only free parking anywhere near the downtown financial
district.  The eider is northeast of this intersection, and just a short
walk along the paved sidewalk.

The art museum also has a private lot behind the building, next to the
lake.  This is probably the most convenient location, but they do charge
for parking; although I'm not sure how much.  One gentleman who arrived
very early this morning did speak with the security guard there, and was
allowed to park just outside the lot for free, since he promised he
wouldn't be there for long.  If you park here, you will be right next to
the spot where the eider has been hanging out.

The third, and farthest away spot, is Veterans Park..  It's a free public
lot accessed on Lagoon Drive by taking Lincoln Memorial Drive and turning
right north of the Juneau Lagoon; follow the road until you reach the
parking lot on the right, just past the Kite Shop.  To get to the spot
where the eider was seen, you will have to walk south across the large
grassy area to the edge of the harbor and walk along the railing. I did see
a Snowy Owl on the break wall this morning just east of this parking lot
though, so it may be worth it to park there.

Good luck on finding parking and good luck finding the eider!

--
Cheers!

Tim Hahn
New Berlin, WI