[wisb] Kenosha Co. - Chiwaukee Prairie 'Bird Blitz' - request for birders - Sat. June 20th

  • From: Eric Howe <wibirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:22:44 -0500

The Chiwaukee Prairie 'Bird Blitz' is being held this Saturday, June
20th between ~4:45 and 10:00 A.M. Help is needed in covering 2 to 3
additional survey units.
If interested, please contact Molly Lundberg at 262.989.3955 or
mollyjeanne.lundberg AT gmail.com.

The text following is forwarded by permission.

You may also view the information at:

www.chiwaukee.org/Announcements/2009ChiwaukeeBirdBlitz.doc
www.chiwaukee.org/Announcements/ChiwaukeePrairieBirdBlitzMeetingMap.pdf

If the above links are truncated, go to
www.chiwaukee.org
and select the Bird Blitz link.

Eric Howe
northern Walworth County near Troy Center

------
(Minor correction to the below, the first blitz occurred in 2004 and
the second blitz occurred in 2008.  This will be the third year.)
------
From:
Marty Johnson
<Wildlife Biologist>
<Sturtevant Service Center>
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

Dear Chiwaukee Bird Blitz Participants:

Thanks for volunteering for the Chiwaukee Bird Blitz! This is the
second blitz conducted on Chiwaukee, the first one occurred in 2004.
Results from the first blitz include 1,423 individuals and 69 species
being counted. Species seen and/or heard in the past (e.g., bird
blitz, point count surveys, etc.) include the Red-headed woodpecker,
Henslow’s Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark, Sedge Wren, Alder flycatcher,
Virginia Rail and Bobolink. Last year some of the highlights included
a Henslow’s Sparrow (1), Sedge Wren (11), Bobolink (2), Grasshopper
Sparrow (1), Red-headed woodpecker (1), Northern Harrier (1) and an
Alder flycatcher (1).

Here are some details for the Saturday, June 20th bird blitz.

Day of the event: We will meet at the start of the gravel road on TNC
property between 4:30am and 4:45am. The goal is to start surveying
areas at around 5am. The survey will run between 5am - 10am.

Location: The Chiwaukee State Natural Area is located in southeastern
Kenosha County, in the Village of Pleasant Prairie. Take I-94 south,
and exit on Hwy 165. Take Hwy 165 east to Sheridan Road (HWY 32), then
turn right (south) and go approx. 1 mile.  Turn left (east) onto 116th
St. After going over the railroad tracks, take your first right- 1st
Court.  Follow this about 1 block and take the next right and drive to
the end of the road- turn right onto the gravel drive, and park along
the side of the gravel drive.

Chiwaukee Neighbors: Chiwaukee Prairie is unique property in that it
is a prairie with subdivision in it. On the The Nature Conservancy
part just about all of the homes are outside of the main block;
however; on the DNR part of the prairie there are several areas with
dense housing, which may cause some issues. Your maps and the yellow
"State Natural Area" signs posted on the land should give you a good
idea where state land is. If there is any question if you are on state
land or not, error on the side of caution and do not trespass. In some
cases in the DNR part it may be possible to do the birding off the
roadside.

Birding: The idea behind this blitz is to discover which birds are
using the state natural area; in which areas and; how they are
responding to management. It is up to you to cover your area as
thoroughly as possible. If you are sharing a border, please only count
birds on your side of or if you hear/see a spectacular bird out of
your territory make note of it and we'll check if the birder in that
territory found it. We'll ask you to keep track of the numbers of each
species by habitat. All of which should be clear (hopefully) on the
data from. In some cases birders in the DNR areas may be able to bird
from the roadsides.

Habitat: Some of the areas have some difficult terrain. The state
natural area has some very brushy areas and some quite wet spots, but
it is mostly flat. It may be a good idea to bring or wear knee-high or
waterproof boots. Don't forget repellent, snacks, sunscreen and water!
Also be aware this is a good spot for wood ticks.

After Birding: We will meet at out starting point. There we will
summarize our data sheets and refreshments will also be available.
We'll try to meet there between 9 and 10am.

Contact: Molly Lundberg 262-989-3955 or mollyjeanne.lundberg AT gmail.com.