[wisb] Jefferson Park/ Menasha: Long-Tailed Duck + Swans

  • From: Ari <birdhaxxor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:41:42 -0500 (EST)

A friend and I stopped by Jefferson Park in Menasha and Lake Rd (a part of Doty
Island that lies just on the other side of of the river's mouth). Birding was
VERY productive here- especially from Lake Rd (where the birds were closer and
the sun wasn't constantly in our faces).

We are especially thankful for Stephanie Vrabec, who kindly let us view these
birds from her backyard.

The breakdown goes as follows:

1 MUTE SWAN
11 TRUMPETER SWANS (3 juveniles)
Geese
Mallards
6 Black Ducks
Common Mergansers
3,000+ Goldeneye (Many of them displaying!!)
1 Bufflehead
8 Lesser Scaup
12 Ruddy Ducks
1 LONG-TAILED DUCK (male mixed in with a huge goldeneye flock)
4,000+ Herring Gulls (there were several HUGE groups out on the ice)
2 GLAUCOUS GULLS (1st winter)
1 Bald Eagle

Ari Rice
Lawrence University (Appleton)