[wisb] Jefferson County Shorebirds, Bonapartes Gulls

  • From: "Cynthia Bridge" <cynthiabridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:05:37 -0500

The floodplain along the Rock River where 106 crosses just east of Fort
Atkinson and west of Rock River Rd has nice mudflats.  Over the past few
days I've seen numerous LESSER YELLOWLEGS (40+ yesterday), a few GREATER
YELLOWLEGS, 1 PECTORAL SANDPIPER, 1 SPOTTED SANDPIPER, a few WILSON'S SNIPE,
1 probable basic plumage DUNLIN (yesterday, didn't have the motivation to
get out and scope thoroughly but it was a starling size shorebird with black
legs and black droopy bill) and a few miscellaneous Ducks. Today along with
RING-BILLED GULLS (24) and HERRING GULLS (4) were 6 BONAPARTE'S GULLS.  I
haven't really spent much time picking through the shorebirds(about 10
minutes each time), so there could be other goodies.  So Aaron if you get
out and find something good, I expect a call;)

Also the flooded field between Rock River and Bark River Road has many
ducks.  I haven't scoped lately but have easily seen WIGEON, N.SHOVELERS and
BLUE WINGED TEAL from Rock River Rd.

Cynthia Bridge

Fort Atkinson, Jefferson Co.