[wisb] JUNE, and what's to come

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:45:44 -0700 (PDT)

   Good afternoon, folks.  Got a few notes to elaborate on. First off,  guess
what I heard flying over last night?  More Swainson's thrushes, at least 2 of
them.!!!  This was the answer to that one question I had a while back which I
failed to leave to that particular posting.

    I started off the month in style this a.m. by being treated to another
Orchard Oriole in Menominee Park.  A juvie male was singing along with a
warbling vireo, which made the vireo song sound like the orchard.  A rather
humorous sound and duet.  Another first of June find was a greatcrest
flycatcher at the park as well.

    Expectations for the month:  Well,  I don't think 166 sps. would be very
likely, but having checked my records, 97 sps. was my record back in 2003.
Looking over my checklist for that June, my featured birds were osprey,
yel.-billed cuckoo, barred owl, yel-bel. flycatcher,
 blackburnian warbler, Henslow's sparrow and dickcissel.

    Good luck with your June sightings,
    Paul Bruce, Oshkosh
    Winnebago Co.