[wisb] Injured Loon Update-Racine Co.

  • From: Jennifer Wenzel <miloloki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:16:29 -0600

Hi all,

I wasn't sure if you'd be interested on an update about the ill Common
Loon we found at Wind Point or not. But I have some news.

I spoke with Yvonne from Fellow Mortals today. She said our Loon had
swallowed a lead sinker and has lead poisoning. Based on his symptoms he
has probably been ill for two or three days, which has left his immune
system susceptible to a fungal infection, which he has developed also.
The picking at rocks that he was doing on the beach was a neurological
symptom of the poisoning.

He will be having surgery on Monday to remove the sinker. Rehab after
that would be a few weeks. His ultimate fate is unknown at this time.

Please use non-lead sinkers and jigs when you are fishing.

I did leave a donation with Fellow Mortals when I dropped the loon off,
as they operate on donations. I'm sure they'd appreciate any other help
they could get. It looks like it would be tax deductible, too.

Here is there web site and there is a donation tab in the upper left
corner of the site if you are interested. Feel free to bookmark the site
in case you may need to call them with an injured animal some time. I
was really glad they were available yesterday!

http://www.fellowmortals.org/index.html

Jenny Wenzel
Racine Co.