[wisb] ID help

  • From: Johnnymack <mackj01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wis Birdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:59:21 -0600

I want to thank all of you that took the time to respond to my ID
question. Since several of the responses were sent directly to my
e-mail ( which was fine) I wanted to share with the rest of you the
main points that were made by the respondents.

    * General field guides just don't have room to go into great
detail and the details they do provide should be enough( in most
cases) to get to the correct ID. However using 3 or four field guides
will give you a better set of marks than using just one.
    * Get some group specific guides to learn more details, like for
Raptors ,Shorebirds or Gulls.
    * Utilize the internet, Google the bird in question, you will be
surprised and amazed (if you are over 50) at the volume of
information that is available.
    * Go on field outings that are offered by Audubon and various
groups and rub shoulders with more experienced birders.
    * Be sure to ask leaders about the tools that they used for a
specific ID, Shape, location, behavior in addition to color and
pattern. Ask which other birds might be confused with this one, a
conversation is still one of the best ways to get a good picture.
    * Thanks again for all your help!