[wisb] Horicon shorebirds tonight

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:44:09 -0500

After joining up with the WSO field trip this morning, I also checked Hwy 49
again late this afternoon on my way back to Madison.  Rick Fare and his wife
were scoping a largish flock of birds on the south (Dodge Co.) side, across
from the historical marker.  Several Baird's SPs were the highlight - I also
spotted a very light-colored bird the same size as a Baird's that I think may
have been a White-rump.  Unfortunately, just as I got it in Rick's scope for
him, the shorebirds all flushed and flew around before resettling, and I could
not refind that bird.  Grrrr...  Then, just as Rick was getting into his car, a
Buff-breasted SP flew in and landed pretty close to the road.  It immediately
got behind a clump of vegetation and hunkered down so that only the head was
showing, which fortunately is still useful for ID on a Buffie.

There were also three or four BN Stilts far to the north, on the Fond du Lac
side.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI