[wisb] Horicon Snowy Owls-Yes

  • From: Team Kramer <eakbirdink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 21:11:45 -0600

We went to Horicon Marsh today hoping to find the Snowy Owls, though our
hopes were none to high considering the high winds. We got to Dike Road
sometime around 1045 hours and found the owls shortly thereafter (super
excited as they were lifers for us). When we first saw them they were kind
of hunkered down out of the wind (we got to use our wonderous new spotting
scope for the first time :D ) but after a little while they started flying
around chasing one another. They actually seemed to be having fun in the
wind. Got very good veiws. We also saw at least three Rough-legged Hawks
(one of which was a dark morph), a few Northern Harriers , about three
Red-Taileds, the normal Mallards and Northern Shovelers, 3 Ruddy Ducks,
1 Double-Crested Cormorant (seems a little late in the year for them?), and
what looked like maybe a Grean-Winged Teal (didn't get a good look). Oh
yeah.... and we found a single Snow Bunting in the grass on the edge of the
road. Thought it was a little weird that it was all alone....
Isaac and Elliot, Appleton, Outagamie County