[wisb] Horicon - Old Marsh Rd. Sunday

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:28:45 -0500

I had to go up to Oshkosh yesterday afternoon, so stopped to hike out on the
Old Marsh Rd. at Horicon one last time before it closed for the season (not
reopening for hiking/biking until the general Dec. 1 opening of the entire
refuge.)  I went out from the east end.  A photographer on his bike stopped to
show me a photo he'd just taken of what appeared to be the Tri-colored Heron.
He said he'd also seen the Snowy Egret.  Alas, both were gone by the time I got
out there.  There were several immature Black-crowned Night Herons flying
around, several Great Egrets, but only a few Great Blues.  On my hike back to
the car, an American Bittern was standing next to the road, trying to blend in.
Uh, no.  Plenty of frogs on the road to interest a bittern or egret.

I noticed Starlings hawking insects over the road on my way back, then saw a
few Common Nighthawks higher up, then more, then still more. Eventually, there
were at least 50 Nighthawks circling overhead as the sun went down.  A few
Marsh Wrens and Soras were still calling, as well as a Great Horned Owl from
the woods to the east.  Aside from the fairly bothersome mosquitoes, it was a
fun hike.

Oh, I neglected to mention the motorcyclist on Hwy 49 who had stopped just east
of the bike trail to try to assist a rather large snapping turtle across the
road.  With his bare hands.  I sincerely hope he still has all of his fingers...

Peter Fissel
Madison WI