[wisb] Horicon Marsh today/Dodge,Fond du Lac Counties

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:29:25 -0500

Today I birded STH49, the auto tour, and Old Marsh Rd. I saw no Black-necked
Stilts or Red-necked Phalaropes.
The north side of STH 49 had fewer Great Egrets and White Pelicans than in
recent days . There were hundreds of Pectoral Sandpipers, dozens of Lesser
Yellowlegs, and 1 Black-bellied Plover.
The pond across from the historical marker had thousands of swallows (gone
by afternoon) and a few Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers, and Least
Sandpipers. Distant in the back pond was a possible Wilson's Phalarope.
The Egret Trail and boardwalk had 4 Green Herons. A hen Blue-winged Teal
with 5 ducklings was suprisingly unwary just 25 feet from the boardwalk. A
juvenile Least Bittern (fuzzy white crown) was about 30 yards east of the
"red rock." The pond across the road from the
red rock had a Sora foraging in the open, and yellowlegs, Pectoral
Sandpipers, and Least, Semipalmated, and Solitary Sandpipers. Two more Green
Herons were seen here.
Peter Fissel was leaving Old Marsh Rd. when I arrived and he said he had
trouble finding shorebirds on the south side of the road. I would have said
the same until two Peregrine Falcons began patrolling the area and raised a
couple hundred shorebirds from the cattail stubble.
When I returned they were more visible but all I could find were Pectoral
Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs. The north side of Old Marsh Rd.
in the channel about 1/4 mile east of the auto tour entrance had Greater and
Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Stilt Sandpiper, 1 dowitcher (sp), 1 Spotted
Sandpiper, and more Pectoral Sandpipers. Past the wooden bridge on the south
side were 2 distant Trumpeter Swans and 2 imm. Bald Eagles.
I saw 2 Whooping Cranes while at Horicon Marsh today.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County