[wisb] Horicon Marsh Festival Field Trip results

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 16:21:45 -0500

Dennis G and I helped on the festival Friday (until 2:00 pm) and
today (until noon).  Friday the leader was Jeff B and today Brad
Webb.  Despite the challenging weather both days (Fri was rain and
today was strong northwest winds and COLD;  when I left Appleton this
morning it was snowing with the rain).
Friday we had 110 species with Black-necked Stilt (3), Am Avocet (3),
Upland Sandpiper, Glossy Ibis (2) being the highlights.  15 shorebird
and 12 warbler species were found.

Today we had 119 species (which is a record, by one, for any festival
trip) that included Friday's four highlights, plus a Rusty Blackbird
(heard and seen well), Barred Owl, Lapland Longspurs, Am Pipits.  13
warblers, 14 shorebirds.

However after today's trip I returned back to Hwy 49 between the
pumphouse and the 49 sign where there is ever improving shorebird
habitat.  The Glossy Ibis remain absurdly easy to see and up close.
However the shorebirds had increased from late morning to now include
40 Wilson's Phalaropes, 125 Dunlins, 100+ Le Yellowlegs, a Stilt
Sandpiper and 3 short-billed Dowitchers, among others.  Then a
Peregrine Falcon cruised thru and every thing up close and back in
the marsh took flight, even the 3 Avocets.  When things finally
returned a Ruddy Turnstone and 2 Long-billed Dowitchers were
present.  Then 2 Peregrines went thru and the routine was repeated.
The Avocets moved much closer to the road and on the west end of the
pond by the sign.  (All sightings are on the south side of the
highway;  way too much water on the north side.)  And the "3rd" Black-
necked Stilt (apparently that the main dike pair have chased out from
last weekend) remains by the cattails on the west side.  During this
post trip time along 49 there were 6 new species that we did not see
there during the trip!  It does change fast!!

There is an impressive number of shorebirds that are building in this
area and should be watched during the upcoming days.  Apparently this
is the section that the feds are drawing down this year for shorebirds.

Good luck.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI