[wisb] Horicon Marsh 9/2/09

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 18:27:55 -0500

I made a quick run to Horicon Marsh early this morning.  Impressive
numbers of the standard birds along Hwy 49, including 150+ Great
Egrets and the Trumpeter Swan family (2+6).  However the Main Dike Rd
was a real surprise.  It is almost dry, thus there were very few
shorebirds, and I mean very few.  I had to work to find 6 species
that included single Lesser Yellowlegs, Baird's and White-rumped
Sandpiper, and several Least, Semip Sandpipers and Killdeer.  Unless
there is some rain here and some fronts (none forecast until mid next
week) this area is probably going to remain very quiet, in contrast
to the spring and summer.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI