[wisb] Horicon, Lake Maria, Uhlein Marsh

  • From: Stuart Malcolm <stuart.malcolm26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:36:21 -0500

Hi All,

Ten members of the North East Wisconsin Bird Club had a run down to Horicon
today and had a great trip.
Firstly we stopped at Uhlein Marsh where we had views of American and Least
Bitterns, Sora and Virginia Rails, and we heard a KING RAIL. We also saw an
Otter and a Mink here.
Next we stopped at Lake Maria where the WESTERN GREBE was showing well, if a
little distant.

At Horicon we had much the same birds as Tom Wood (we were there a bit later
and then saw Tom at Hustisford) although we only had the one BB Plover (north
of 49) but there were two BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS south of 49. There were also
about 14 Baird's Sandpipers south of 49 on our way back north this afternoon,
and two Stilt Sands north of 49. There were two more Stilt Sands at Ledge Road
but we couldn't locate the YCNH.

As Tom says we also had two Long-Billed Dowitchers when we arrived at
Hustisford but we didn't see them again on the way back to the car.

16 species of shorebird for the day.

Good Birding,

Stuart Malcolm
Appleton