[wisb] Hoary Redpoll/Sharp-shinned Hawk: Marquette co.

  • From: "Daryl Christensen" <daryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbird" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:19:54 -0600

My mother called to say she had a Hoary Redpoll at her feeder yesterday, which
was reported to the GBBC. I went to see it this morning and as it was sunning
itself in the branches of an elm tree with 20 other Common Redpolls, a
Sharp-shinned Hawk picked it off, flew into a nearby blue spruce and spent the
next 15 minutes plucking and eating it. Why it picked this particular bird from
the flock is uncertain, other than it may have simply been easier to see?
-Daryl Christensen
Marquette co.