[wisb] Herring Gull Predation

  • From: steven lubahn <stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:44:29 -0500

This morning while scanning the lake at Wind Point in Racine Co. I witnessed
several different species of sparrows fly in off the lake toward the shore. The
first bird was so exhausted it landed in the water and a moment later was
scooped up by a Herring Gull. About a half hour later I saw a flurry of gulls
chasing a sparrow pretty far out. I watched it for about five minutes as the
sparrow successfully averted every grabbing attempt, desperately trying to make
it to the shore. Finally, there was no more sparrow. It's a tough life.

Steven Lubahn
Milwaukee Co.

Sent from my iPhone####################