[wisb] Hello fron North Dakota

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:10:36 -0500

Hello everyone!
Just thought I'd drop a line and say hello to all of you. I'm in Center, ND,
which is about 45 minutes northwest of Bismark. This past weekend my field
technician and I went to Theodore Roosevelt National Park and stayed in the
south campground. This was my second time visiting Teddy Roosevelt National
Park, and wow, you really can't help but just have your socks knocked off by
the amazing sights, sounds and smells... The scenery is just gorgeous, the
squeaks of the prairie dogs and singing of the birds is pleasant, and the
air is so clean and 'flowery'... sometimes with a hint of bison droppings
while hiking through the middle of the park, but hey, that's all part of the
experience :) We saw many feral horses, bison, prairie dogs, and lots of
birds!

By far the most unusual bird we saw was a juvenile BROAD-WINGED HAWK, right
after we entered the south fee area. I couldn't believe it. It was really
neat to see this little guy perched on a cottonwood in the park. I'm
wondering if this newly-fledged Broad-winged Hawk was born in the area, or
wandered far from it's nest and ended up in the park when we saw it. Spotted
Towhees were the most common bird by far.

So here's my bird list from this past weekend inside the park:
American White Pelican
Canada Goose
Mallard
Turkey Vulture
Northern Harrier (one adult male)
Swainson's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk (3 total, 2 pale easterns and 1 adult Krider's!)
Golden Eagle (adult)
Killdeer
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Great Horned Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Tree Swallow
Violet-Green Swallow!!!!
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-billed Magpie (these birds always get my heart beating fast... so
pretty)
Common Raven
White-breasted Nuthatch
Rock Wren
Eastern Bluebird
Mountain Bluebird - what a treat!
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Black-headed Grosbeak
Lazuli Bunting
Spotted Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Bobolink
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Brewer's Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
Bullock's Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch

I'll get my photos uploaded in about 2 months once I can get back to my home
computer. I can't wait to share my photos with you!

Good birding! Hope you all are well,

Erik Bruhnke
birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/birdfedr