[wisb] Heads up, possible rarity in Racine County

  • From: Jerry <jerry937975@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:47:02 -0400 (EDT)

I just left a small pond near my house. This pond is located on 50th Road about
.8 miles west of I-94 and about 1 mile north of Hwy. 20 in Racine County. A
bird I observed there briefly was very interesting and quite possibly a
McCown's longspur. Though I had my scope with me, the bird disappeared while
setting the scope up and I was unable to locate the bird.

Noted very clearly was a chestnut shoulder suggesting a vesper sparrow. At a
distance of approx. 100 feet with an 8.5x binoculars, the head seemed quite
pale, much paler than what I'd suspect in looking at a lapland longspur. The
breast was lightly horizontally streaked, flanks were buffy and in a very quick
hop/wing flutter, I noted white edgings to the tail. It was in the company of a
horned lark. I realized I had my scope in the car and in the haste to set it up
for better looks, the bird was gone.

If you are in the area (Racine, Kenosha birders) it's worth keeping an eye on
this area. The puddle is nearly dry but other than this bird, there were a few
American pipits present.

Jerry DeBoer
Central Racine County