[wisb] Hawk in neighbor's yard

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 11:33:39 -0600

My neighbor just called, very excited, to report a large hawk eating in his
backyard in Milwaukee.  I can see it from my upstairs window.  I also snuck
our and down the driveway between the houses to get a closer look.  It is a
juvenile accipiter.  The common suspect would be Cooper's Hawk, but this
bird looks large and bulky.  It has a light supercilium.  I can't get a look
at the tail from above, but from below the bands do not appear even.  I
believe that the hawk is eating an opossum; I can see its long naked tail
and longish hair (longer than a rat's hair).  The legs are feathered about
halfway down their length.  The back is speckled, and the breast heavily
streaked, but not what I'd call buffy.

I have some mediocre pictures from my Coolpix if anyone would like to see
them.  I can email them for your opinion.

Exciting!

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee