[wisb] Harvey Rd (Columbia Cty) and Horicon

  • From: Edward Keyel <dolichovespula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:17:28 -0500

Hi all,

As Peter mentioned in his post this morning, Gerry and I went to
Harvey Rd after stopping by Schumacher (the light really was nice on
that Godwit).  The light was far less nice at Harvey Rd, and combine
that with a Peregrine Falcon going overhead, the dogs splashing
through everything, and the dumptrucks going by, it was hard to get
looks at any shorebirds there (though there were still some decent
flocks spooked by the Peregrine).  The water is still disappearing
very quickly from the east side of Harvey, and is almost completely
gone from the north side of Wangsness.  The water is also completely
gone on the west side of Harvey north of Hwy 60.

At Horicon, the 3 Glossy and 1 White-faced Ibis were all very obliging
on the south side of Hwy 49 (though the light was slightly less so).
It was great to have Forster's Terns hovering close to us (and I
finally managed a couple of decent pictures).  We had a Peregrine
Falcon come by multiple times, scaring several groups of shorebirds.
Shortly before we left, a Whooping Crane flew in and landed behind the
pumphouse.  It then proceeded to sit down, which struck us as odd.  We
had also been informed of a Black-necked Stilt further to the west on
49, which we found as well as a second individual.  The entrance to
Dike Rd had a singing Henslow's Sparrow and a singing Bobolink.
Another pair of Black-necked Stilts was very close to the road as well
(one of which had a browner back than the other three).  We got great
views of a Common Moorhen too.

What a great day to be out!  Good birding to all!
-Ted Keyel
Sun Prairie,
Dane Cty