[wisb] HMBC waterfowl trips results

  • From: Jeffrey Bahls <jbahls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 19:50:50 -0500

38 species today on our fall waterfowl trip. Including 15 waterfowl
species, We started at the Horicon Marsh Education Center went to Dike
rd then Hwy 49 and ended at the auto tour. Pintails were seen at all
stops, Tundra swans in good numbers can be seen from Dike Rd at the
bend in the road. Bufflehead  ,Hooded Mergansers and Canvasback in
this area also. Northern Harriers were all along the Dike rd with at
least 6-8 individuals. Several imm. Bald Eagles were to the north of
Dike Rd. a couple of Black bellied plovers we along the cattail mats
between the 3rd and 4th pullouts. several snow buntings were in the
margin between the upper and lower roads. a pair of black ducks were
near the 4th pull out.
Snow bunting were observed on the road around the Bud Cook area.
Hwy 49 south side, east of the pumphouse  held 2 HUDSONIAN GODWIT and
some flyby dunlin. GW teal were present in big numbers and the ever
present coot in the bigger waters.
6 trumpeter swans were along the auto tour on the first pond. 4 of
them collared. lastly a Northern Shrike was sitting in a dead tree on
the last flowage before exiting the auto tour just east of the last
pullout.
thanks to the 20 + birders who made the trip to Horicon today

Jeff Bahls
Lowell Wi
Dodge Co