[wisb] Gulls in Neenah

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish50@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:24:09 -0800 (PST)

As I posted earlier today, I was hoping to make it to Neenah this afternoon and
it happened!  It was really nice to get
out and bird the Neenah area in search of gulls and other stuff, obviously no
luck on the B-l. Kittiwake. However, with
our starting post at the end of Nicolet Av in Menasha, my Brother and I could
see what Daryl meant:  1000's of gulls
way out at least 1/4 mile, and 46 Bald Eagles counted.  I was relying on
flyover gulls for oddballs, which I did score
1 of the Gr.  Black-backs (3rd yr) and 1 Glaucous, (2nd).  Heard first Mourning
Dove cooing at this site.  We were
able to see the 100's of goldeneyes and C. mergansers from here too. Next stop
was Jefferson Park  This was more
of a duck stop, as we were a bit closer to the goldeneye activity.  Found 1
Ring-neck Duck and a handful of redhead
within the river there.  No other odd gulls were detected.  Then we tried the
Friendship bridge at Little L Butte des Morts
and the gulls just started to fly in from Winnebago as we arrived, still no
oddballs, but we did score more goldeneyes,
mallards, black ducks (at least 7) and 2 cormorants. Then the rain started and
we stopped, good timing, huh?  From
3:00 to 4:45, not bad, but could've been better. Reporting from Oshkosh,
   Paul Bruce  (stay warm)