[wisb] Gull and Nighthawk behavior

  • From: "K. Hilary Ford" <khilaryf32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doorcobirding <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:25:04 -0500

Sitting on our deck last night overlooking the small prairie in the Cottage
Glen subdivision we saw some Ring-billed Gulls circling and then getting
very interested in something that was in the air and behaving rather like
Nighthawks.  Pretty soon about 8 or more Nighthawks were among them though
they seemed not to like the competition!  Obviously there was an insect
hatch-out or something along those lines.  I seem to remember some
discussion about Nighthawks migrating south at the same time as a
particular species of dragon-fly is hatching out, but we could not see any
sign of larger insects.
Not long after that I had to drive down into town (Ellison Bay that is
where I keep some flower barrels watered)  There the insect hatch was all
over the place and 50 or more Gulls were in a frenzy at all heights, though
no Nighthawks.  Anyone else observe this behavior and can someone make a
comment on the insects?

Saturday there were a few Shorebirds picking among the rocks at Europe Bay
park:  I only had my bins and no book or I-pod.  I could ID the
Semi-palmated Plovers, and some smaller peeps, but as I have not been good
at learning these birds - never a quantity of them where we lived before or
now is my excuse, I would think the others were sandpipers of some kind -
not Sanderlings though

Ospreys still using the Ellison Bay Towers today.

Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay, Door Co.
.