[wisb] Guidelines for Totals and Chukars

  • From: Kelly Rueckheim <rueckel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:23:55 +0000

My brother called me several years back to let me know a strange bird was by
the garden at my parents' home near Ontario (WI).  I went to investigate and
found a Chukar dilligently following my mother around outside.  It was quite
the sight!  We are not aware of anyplace near Ontario where game birds are
released, but it was quite obvious that this bird was not wild.  A few years
later, I was visiting my parents home and I heard a bobwhite in the fenceline
between their farm and the neighbor's farm.  That bird did not stick around
when I went to go investigate.  It very much acted like a wild bird.  I counted
this bird.

In regards to ABA, I guess I've always assumed that most birders do follow
their guidelines.  As I've gotten more serious about my birding, I've actually
dropped a few birds from my lists.  An example would be the whooping crane,
which I had on my state list but have since dropped as it is not countable in
Wisconsin.  I still keep note of these birds on my lists (I also have the
chukar and a Mandarin Duck from Sparta), but they are not included in my
numbers.

Kelly Rueckheim - Hillsboro, Vernon County####################