[wisb] Great Blue Herons - Greenfield Park

  • From: Vitabcaa@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:12:41 -0400 (EDT)

My wife and I have been keeping an eye on a nest in Greenfield Park in West
 Allis to see if a pair of GREAT BLUE HERONS or another pair would return
from last season. Last Saturday there was one spotted on the nest and
yesterday  both were there.

Nest is on the main pond on the south side in a small stand of birch  and
can be viewed from the main park road.

We were able to scope them for about 20 minutes before they flew off. What
I assume is the female was in the nest and it would seem that she was
preparing  the nest for further habitation. The male was roosted in the same
tree
 about four feet above nest.

We look forward to watching this pair as they raise their young.

Paul  Vita
West Allis - Milwaukee County