[wisb] Grand River Marsh today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 20:37:58 -0500

On my way back from a Natural Resources Foundation dragonfly field trip at
Comstock Bog today, I stopped at the Grand River Marsh access off Marquette
County Hwy B.  There were Grasshopper, Henslow's, Field, Clay-colored and
Chipping Sparrows along the road in.  A first-year Orchard Oriole was working
the oak trees at the curve (this is always a reliable spot for this species.)
In the same area, I saw Clay-colored Sparrows carrying food - I assumed to a
nest.
In the woods to the north, I heard and saw a Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, a couple of Baltimore Orioles and a pair of Indigo Buntings.

On a quick stop at the prairie south of Kampen & west of Goose Pond Rd. in
Columbia Co., I heard Yellow-headed Blackbirds (probably over the hill on the
west pond.)

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.