[wisb] Glacial Drumlin Trail Warblers--Lake Mills, Jefferson Co.

  • From: Aaron Stutz <agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 13:52:56 -0500

I hiked the Glacial Drumlin Trail this morning and was very impressed
with the numbers of warblers present--12 species and 120-150 individuals
.  The best location was on the east side of the lake-between the Train
Depot/DNR Office and the trailer park/Sandy Beach Access.  90% of the
warblers were observed along this stretch of about 200 yards of trail.
Tennessee Warblers were everywhere.  Many birds were seen at eye level
from close range.  My favorite moment was when a Blackpoll flew down to
check me out, opened its mouth wide as if to yawn, then flew low over my
shoulder to the other side of the trail.

Here is today's list of neotropical migrants:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird    3
Eastern Wood-Pewee    1
Eastern Phoebe    1
Great Crested Flycatcher    1
Yellow-throated Vireo    1
Warbling Vireo    3
Red-eyed Vireo    10
Gray-cheeked Thrush    1
Swainson's Thrush    4
Cedar Waxwing    120
Tennessee Warbler    60
Nashville Warbler    2
Yellow Warbler    1
Chestnut-sided Warbler    3
Magnolia Warbler    8
Black-throated Green Warbler    6
Blackburnian Warbler    8
Bay-breasted Warbler    6
Blackpoll Warbler    12
Black-and-white Warbler    1
American Redstart    15
Common Yellowthroat    3
Scarlet Tanager    1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak    1

Yesterday I also had 2 Philadelphia Vireos and a Cape May Warbler in the
midst of a nice mixed flock in my backyard (Lake Mills).

Aaron Stutz
Lake Mills, WI
Jefferson County