[wisb] Gallinule update

  • From: "Korducki" <korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 21:35:53 -0500

I arrived after my son's baseball game at 7:50.  I had timing that made me
feel like Daryl Tessen.  As I pulled up, Tom and Eric Howe were waving me
in.  They had just spotted the Purple Gallinule.  After an anxious few
seconds, the bird walked out into the open and spent nearly the next half
hour walking around and feeding in the open.  I think that the first few
hours after dawn and the hour before dusk might be the best time to search
for this bird.  Parking and watching from the south as Jym Mooney suggested
is a good idea.  What a gorgeous bird in perfect plumage!  This is the first
new state bird for me since the mango.  Kudos to Sean Fitzgerald for finding
this bird and for Tom Prestby to maintain a 10 hour vigil through some
severe weather.

Mark Korducki, New Berlin