[wisb] Re: Fwd: Milwaukee Gulls

  • From: steven lubahn <stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 19:31:39 -0600

I spent about two hours with this gull today. The primary pattern closely
matches the wing illustrations in Olsen Larsson (Gulls of North America, Europe
and Asia), page 26 illustration 1 or 2. The mantle looked a bit darker than the
photo, a bit warmer gray. The strong white primary tips on p10 and p9 were very
striking in flight, there was an isolated black subterminal band near the tip
of p9. The legs were very pale fleshy almost suggesting yellowish.

Also present for comparison was a Lesser Black-backed, several Kumlien's and
Thayer's at diff ages.

Steven Lubahn
Cudahy