[wisb] Fw: UW Lakeshore Path - Urban Wildlife Class

  • From: Peter Fissel <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 14:26:53 +0000

________________________________
From: paul_noeldner <paul_noeldner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:54 PM
To: Peter Fissel
Subject: UW Lakeshore Path - Urban Wildlife Class

2015-02-05 09:46
UW Lakeshore Path
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 Miles
90 Minutes
10 deg, -10 windchill, sunny, fresh snow
Observers: 11
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: This is instructor Trish O'Kanes Thurs morning Urban Wildlife class
outing to research UW campus.   The sun helped alleviate a -10 wind chill but
most birds were inactive. After a short reading in honor of John Muir we set
out from Picnic Point to Muir Woods by the Memorial Union to practice using
binoculars and id some birds.  The highlight was a Swamp Sparrow foraging in
cattails along a flowing inlet to Univ Bay. Guesses ranged from Northern
Waterthrush to Cedar Waxwing.  A bird guide review of size, look, field marks,
behavior and location clearly pointed to Swamp Sparrow. Another was the peep of
a Downy that had us all craning our necks scanning treetops until one student
pointed out it was only 20 feet over our heads!  A Great Horned Owl spotted
earlier along the route by one student was not seen but 3 crows were hanging
around a nearby Owl Box put up by Faye Lorenzsonn as we passed the spot.  It
may have been inside the box9 as nesting activity has already been observed at
the Lakeshore Preserve Bills Woods Owl Box about a mile away.   The lack of
expected Redtail and Cooper raptor sightings may have been explained by the
lack of small mammal tracks after the fresh snowfall, probably due to the
extreme cold.  A prize  offered to the first student to spot a bird feeder on
the 1.5 mile campus walk went unclaimed.

    1    Red-bellied Woodpecker
    1    Downy Woodpecker
    1    Hairy Woodpecker
    3    American Crow
    2    Black-capped Chickadee
    1    White-breasted Nuthatch
    1    Swamp Sparrow
    2    House Sparrow

This report was created and sent using BirdsEye BirdLog
(http://birdseyebirding.com/)

Paul Noeldner, Maple Bluff
Madison Audubon Bird Mentor
 /