[wisb] Forest County - Boreal Birds (long)

  • From: Ida Baumann <tynida@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:45:16 -0500

On the way to Superoor we spent many hours on the forest roads east of
Three Lakes coming up empty. Time to retry 10 days later after hearing  of
others sucess. It was breath-takingly beautiful driving across the state as
the leaves are at their autumn best.
We arrived at Pine River Bridge on 2182 at dusk Sept 24th and spent the
night in the silent woods. Awaking around 5 am we ventured out in the dark.
The silence was broken - hearing 3 SAW-WHET OWLS and a BARRED OWL, SWAMP &
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS joined in. An AM. WOODCOCK flew over.
We drove west on 2182 to "Tom Woods" bog and walked the road from 6:30 -8
am. Two GRAY JAYS were flittering in the woods, a BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER
flew over and a Barred Owl was calling. Lots of RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES
were everywhere in the forest, thrush and kinglet migration was in full
swing and we had BLACK-THROATED GREEN,  PALM,  &YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS.
By 9 we went back to the Giant Pine intersection and spent time wallking .
A Black-backed Woodpecker worked the dead tree to the north and flew west.
Ty walked west a quarter mile and had more Gray Jays. As he was headed back
2 TIMBER WOLVES crossed the road from north to south between the two of us.
Great sighting!  Some BOREAL CHICKADEES pished in about 50 yards west.
We talked to a hunter who recently saw a SPRUCE GROUSE on Divide road east
(2174). We headed over there and parked just north of the cottage at 11807
and walked south along the bog. Very quiet,  but did we give up hope? No
way!  As we approached the driveway, there was the male SPRUCE GROUSE
standing in the short grass right underneath the chain.  He put up with a
few photos then took off to the north west about 11 am.
Beautiful drive through the colored fall leaves west on 2183 Scott's Lake
Rd. Two TRUMPETER SWANS were still on Schelp Lake and a family of 5 were on
Scott's Lake.  Heard more SAW-WHET OWLS the night under a magnificent star
filled sky back at Pine River Bridge.
Ida and Ty Baumann
Madison