[wisb] Fischer Creek

  • From: "Bob Domagalski" <rcd2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wis Birdnet" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:32:43 -0600

lot at Fischer Creek (along Lake Michigan in far southern Manitowoc County), is
a road that leads to the Cleveland Sewage Treatment Plant and a woody area
where yard waste is collected for composting.  Over the last 10 years or so, I
have found this to be something of a migrant trap.  The roadside is lined with
bushes heavy with fruit and the compost piles are usually good for sparrows and
such.  On a brief visit here on Friday evening (Oct. 30th), there were (mixed
with the numerous Robins, juncos, White-throated Sparrows, both kinglets, some
White-crowned Sparrows, Fox Sparrows and a Swamp Sparrow) several Winter Wrens,
a Gray Catbird, an Eastern Towhee, several Hermit Thrushes and an
Orange-crowned Warbler.
    In the short spurts of time captured between museum work and house
construction projects, I attempted to check the lake front for strange birds
brought in by the west winds.  There was little to see.  The lake itself was
nearly devoid of birds.  On Sunday, birding from Hika Bay, to Fischer Creek and
north to Point Creek County Park, I saw but ONE duck -- that a lone male
Greater Scaup.

        --  Bob Domagalski, Menomonee Falls