[wisb] Field trip verbs, follow up

  • From: Al Schirmacher <alschirmacher@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 10:07:14 -0500

There have been some excellent, primarily back channel, points made about
visual birding being easier, more fun, or more accurate.  While admitting the
force of those arguments....

I contend there is something inside most birders that inaccurately values
seeing more than hearing  - that sight is our most acute sense (not sure that
is at all true) - that sight is more often correct (probably depends upon
birder, but I question as well, since we tend to dismiss insufficiently seen
birds, ruining the statistical sample) - that sight is more satisfying (then
why do so many listen to, and are greatly moved by, music).

And, somehow, birding culture holds up auditory birders as better, more
proficient, working at a higher plane most cannot reach, which I can personally
testify to as less than true.  Some of the strongest birders are those who can
visually work their way through difficult gulls, shorebirds or hybrids.

IMHO.

Al Schirmacher