[wisb] Re: Fennimore Snowy shot

  • From: Richter Museum <richter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx'" <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:04:05 +0000

Jesse;   most are not in poor shape.  The real culprit here is usually
aspergillosis a common fungus that these northern owls encounter as they move
south.  As the disease progresses the birds become weaker and are unable to
hunt, hence starve.  I suspect most of the birds have been exposed by this free
flying airborne pathogen, but it only comes into play under stress, such as in
young birds long emigrations with and little food.  Some owls might be rescued
but survival even with treatment is very limited depending upon how advanced
the lesions are. It may take weeks for birds to succumb. Recently infected
birds have the best survival chance.

Tom Erdman