[wisb] Feedback on my ID help request

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:34:07 -0500

I've gotten some very good backchannel feedback on my ID help request,
especially a YouTube video from Joe Schaufenbuel showing a soaring Mississippi
Kite.  I'm leaning very strongly toward that species as the correct ID, but
since I have zero experience with it, I don't know that I have enough to work
with for Rare Bird documentation (MS Kite is my #1 "nemesis" bird.)  Given that
they nest in Rockford, IL, a bird could easily work its way up the Rock River.

Anyway, keep your eyes open - when I lost the bird, it was headed generally
north/northeast towards Lake Mendota.  Guess I should have checked Cherokee
Marsh in case it decided to settle down somewhere for the evening (this was
last Thursday - June 25.)

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.