[wisb] FYI: Wet Weather in The Rio Grande Valley

  • From: Tom Sykes <sykes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:38:13 -0500

Folks,

Since posting our Barn Swallow migration sighting we've heard from a number of
our WI birding friends. After arriving at our current location we were
disappointed to discover that some of our favorite local bird haunts are closed
or at best have extremely limited access. Here's a report on current conditions
in the event any of you are planning a birding trip to the Texas Rio Grande
Valley:

Two tropical storms seriously affected the water levels in the Rio Grande
Valley this season. While none directly hit the valley, associated heavy rains
caused severe flooding. The double whammy has directly impacted access to
certain popular area birding locations birders from WI may be familiar with if
they have ever birded this area of Texas: Santa Ana NWR, Bentsen State Park and
Anzalduous County Park.

Trails on the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge are temporarily closed due to
damages from flood waters. Once the waters fully recede and it is determined to
be safe for the public, the trails will once again be open. Conversations with
park staff indicated that continued flooding may occur due to the local water
authority plans to release more water upstream to relieve pressure on Falcon
Dam. As the majority of the park is a flood plain, it makes sense that the area
may be under water for some time. The park office and gift shop remain open and
limited birding is possible from the levee. Trails might open to foot traffic
by late December or January. Trams are out of the question for some time to
come.

Bentsen State Park: The Park Store, Café, Exhibit Room (World Birding Center
Visitors Center) and the Meeting Room are currently open and available for
rental. But, all of the park's remaining facilities are under renovation and
entrance into the park proper will remain closed until further notice.
Conversation with park staff indicate that while the park is no longer under
water, the ground remains saturated beneath the roadways. No vehicles are
allowed on the roadways including golf carts due to unstable conditions (the
road makes “squishing” sounds when walked upon). Trams are out of the question
and even maintenance crew vehicles are not allowed. The water level in the park
at one point almost covered the roofs of restrooms and shelters. All power
lines and pumps in the park proper were damaged. Thankfully, the hawk tower was
spared any damage of note.

Foot traffic may be allowed in the park by late December or perhaps sooner if
deemed safe. No status on efforts to maintain feeder stations but common sense
indicates that it would be futile to do so until people - birders - are allowed
into the park again.

If planning a visit to either of the above parks it is advisable to contact
each park to determine if it’s worthwhile or safe to do so.The condition of
Bentsen is particularly disappointing to us given we are parked next door and
visited the park on a near daily basis last winter.

A silver lining, if there is one, is that both parks received a much needed
soaking Given the local water district policies (Bentsen SP in particular) they
were not receiving needed amounts from the Rio Grande River. Both parks have
suffered from drought conditions for some time. The flooding also killed off
many invasive plants. Consensus is that both locations will, in a year or two,
make significant improvements in native plant vegetation and overall, improve
wildlife habitats. Time will tell and patience is a virtue.

Anzalduas ranked with the most popular and productive birding sites in the
valley, with a notable list of specialties and rarities to its credit. The
entrance road passed through a grassy area where Western Meadowlark often
wintered. Sparrows of many species also wintered here, and wintering Sprague’s
Pipit are regularly found. Unfortunately, Anzalduous was the hardest hit and
bore the brunt of the flooding. Severe damaged occurred to all buildings and
the newly installed docks. People familiar with the park know that to reach the
park one had to drive up and over a levee and across a concrete causeway. The
road that lead to the levee was completely barricaded so our approach to the
levee was barred. We have heard that the park was so badly damaged, and given
it’s location and susceptibility to flooding, that it is questionable if it
will ever reopen or if it does, when.

Other popular birding spots have fared far better. For example Estero Llano
Grande SP is doing fine. High water but open trails.

The annual Rio Grande Valley Birding festival is to occur Nov 10-14. Their web
site still lists field trips to all of the currently closed parks mentioned
above. How they will pull field trips off to these three areas is uncertain but
if you were planning on attending the festival and interested in signing up for
fields trips to the above closed parks, you may wish to verify with the
festival folks that the field trips will indeed occur.

Tom and Carol Sykes (currently in Hidalgo County, TX)
sykes@xxxxxxxxxx