[wisb] FYI: MAS Big Birding Day - May 21

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:10:37 -0500

Madison Audubon's Big Birding Day will be held a bit later than usual
this year (Sat. May 21), in order to avoid conflicting with the WSO
Annual Convention the previous weekend.  If you're interested in forming
a team (or joining up with one,) you can find more information at the
MAS website:  http://madisonaudubon.org/audubon/  (Scroll down on the
calendar on the right side for the link.)

We use a modified version of the ABA Big Day rules, starting at 4:00
a.m. and knocking off early at 5:00 p.m. so that teams can turn in their
totals by 6:00 p.m. and enjoy the banquet at Imperial Gardens on the
west side of Madison afterward.  Teams can be two to six people, and can
bird any of the seven counties in the MAS service area (Columbia, Dane,
Dodge, Iowa, Jefferson, Richland, Sauk.)  We especially encourage new
teams and beginners (note that a team of three or more can designate a
member as a "rookie", and that person will not have to ID all of the
species counted for the team total.) "Green teams" are also a special
emphasis this year (one intrepid biking team usually camps overnight to
get a jump start.) Also, anyone can make a pledge (see the link on the
website) for any team, either a per species or set amount (this is one
of our main fundraisers.)  You can also just come to the banquet if you
can't do the actual count.  It's always fun to hear the highlight
summaries from each team.

While there are prizes for the top three teams by total, the competition
is friendly and not at all cutthroat (and besides, the Prestby/Yoerger
team usually blows everyone else out of the water anyway... if Tom
remembers to set his alarm, that is...)

You can backchannel me for more information (pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Peter Fissel
MAS Field Trip Coordinator