[wisb] FW: Re: Nest predation of House Wrens -- how to prevent?

  • From: Richter Museum <richter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:10:38 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Richter Museum
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:10 PM
To: 'kentsue@xxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [wisb] Re: Nest predation of House Wrens -- how to prevent?

Male Marsh and Sedge wrens are famous for piercing other wren eggs, even their
own. It is one of the suggested reasons for building more than one nest
structure by the females. House wrens are poor choices for yard nesters as they
will pierce every egg that is weak enough for their bills to hole.

Tom Erdman