[wisb] FW: CREX WT KITE UPDATE - YES MONDAY

  • From: Rory Cameron <rory_cameron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird Net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 01:57:32 -0500

Anne Geraghty asked me to forward this information on the WT Kite.

Rory Cameron

Chippewa Falls

"We come and go, but the land is always here. And the people who love it and
understand it are the people who own it—for a little while." Willa Cather

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 00:58:45 -0500

Subject: CREX WT KITE UPDATE - YES MONDAY

CREX WT KITE UPDATE - YES MONDAY

I arrived at Crex just before noon and luckily was approaching Murphy's Rd from
the west on N Refuge Rd, because I spotted the kite perched on a snag to the
west of Buggert Rd on the N side of N Refuge Rd. It was perhaps a 1/4 mile from
either road, but the field marks were clear. Another birder had been watching
it earlier in the morning consistently between Murphys and Currey Rds. I ran
into Daryl Tessen at the Dike One Flowage scanning the mudflats by the
pumphouse. (There were stilt SPs, least SPs, semipalmated SPs, plus one Baird's
SP and one lesser yellowlegs - no marbled godwit was seen by anyone I talked
to.) Daryl had seen the kite, also at a fair distance, between Buggert and
Murphys Rds at 2pm. Daryl checked out Grettum Flowage next, but found it rather
quiet with only a few standard shorebirds. I ran into Daryl again around 7pm
and we were able to relocate the kite. It was initially perched N of the N
Refuge Rd, across from Rices Lake, but then it flew well to the south,
eventually perching in a very tall dead tree close to the Cranberry Dike Rd.
For over an hour, we were able to watch from Crex Ridge Rd (the one that goes
straight into the Reigel Overlook) as the kite alternately preened on its perch
and hunted over the sedge marsh south of Rices Lake. (Scopes required, as the
bird was nearly a mile away on its perch). After sundown, the kite flew south
of Cranberry Dike Rd, but then doubled back and headed north towards the
Murphys Rd area again.

Side note: 30-40 nighthawks hunting right overhead from Reigel Overlook in the
early afternoon.

Good luck to those who go searching for the kite on tuesday!

Anne Geraghty