[wisb] Re: Eurasian Collared-Doves

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdnet" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:31:54 -0600

I've noticed that elsewhere in the country, EC dove seems to be a much
reviled bird, put in the same category as house sparrows and starlings.  But
not in Wisconsin.  Is this bird's reputation in North America unjustified or
is it just that they're (still) relatively rare in Wisconsin?  My first (and
so far only) sighting of one was in Miami Beach, FL, where they are
apparently a bit more common.  Photo:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2502029930059461204plwUHL

By the way, what kind of gull is this?  I have yet to take the plunge into
gull identification.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2170007430059461204POOepy

I think all I saw today for birds were our pair of red-tailed hawks and some
mourning doves hunkered down up in the trees.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.