[wisb] Empid fun.... Pewaukee, WI (Waukesha Cty)

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 23:14:31 -0500

Howdy Fellow Birders,
For the past few weeks, I've been stalking a pair of Willow Flycatchers in
my atlas block in Pewaukee, I've visited this single location at least ten
times in hopes of confirming their breeding status. Understandably, they've
been quite uncooperative. They are fairly close to a well-traveled road,
and nearby blackbirds alert them of my presence.

Early on, they mosied around, refusing to show where they wanted to nest. I
would see two birds, but neither of them would commit to a single bush, or
a single side of the road. Lately, however, they've shown their hand, and I
think I know where they're likely nesting. The male, presumably, will
escape from the bush and disappear for hunting. Meanwhile, his mate will
periodically give the "WHIT" contact call. He'll then reappear briefly on
the approach, only to disappear quickly into the top or side of the bush.
The only indication I have that they're raising young flycatchers is that
they leave and arrive at the same bush repeatedly as I observe. Why else
would they do this, right? And vocally, since mid June, all I've heard
from them is a short WHIT call, which is a common contact call for Willow
Flycatchers.

In the last few days, however, they've started to elaborate on their
calls. In the video I recorded (link attached, and don't mind the
goldfinches or yellow-throats) at about :03 you can hear one of them
"sing"; then again at about :19 it "sings" again. This isn't the standard
fitz-BEW call I know from a Willow Flycatcher. But it also doesn't strike
me as a FREE-beer call of the Alder. It's more of a REE-oo. I've searched
the interwebs and haven't heard a similar call labeled as a Willow
Flycatcher, but based on habitat and location, it's by far the most likely
species. I'd like to know what others think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jpWYJ8UU1Y

To complicate things further, I believe I have just located a young family
of Least Flycatchers, no more than a quarter mile down the road. They're
pumping their tails like crazy (unlike the previously mentioned empids),
but so far I've only gotten back-lit views of them. So the empid fun goes
on....

Cheers!

Tim Hahn
Pewaukee, WI