[wisb] Re: E-bird question

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:29:19 -0600

Jerry,

In a nutshell, eBird usually works by having you choose a location in Google
maps marked with sort of a pin on the map.  You can place your own pins for
personal locations, or use pre-defined hotspots.  You then specify whether you
were stationary or walking around, and if you were walking, how far you walked,
etc...  You then put in a time range, and list everything you saw, and this all
becomes 1 checklist.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but when eBird refers to a "high
count" I believe it is working off of specific checklists, as described above.
Those checklists, as you can guess, could theoretically be for any period of
time and any distance, though I think they ask that you limit "traveling"
checklists to under a few miles or so.

eBird does now have something using the concept of a "patch."
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/about/yard-patch_rules  But I think patch in
this sense is just a euphamism for a particular place you go birding, like a
park or a nature center, or your yard.  If you wanted to enter data for a
larger area like an entire city or county, as opposed to off of a specific
hotspot, eBird does allow that, but notes "Please consider using more precise
locations when reporting to eBird so that your observations are more valuable
for analysis."  I have never entered data this way so I'm not sure but I think
it works the same way, but because the data is for a larger area, it may not be
used for some data analysis purposes.

But anyway, back to your question, I *think* (?) when eBird lists "high
counts," it would usually be based off of a specific checklist.  But if you're
entering data for a large area like a city or a large part of a county, I don't
think it would be comparing apples to apples, so I'm not sure if eBird uses
those for its "high count" analysis.

That's my understanding at least, hopefully one of the eBird team can maybe
fill in some of the details.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.