[wisb] Ease some of the misery

  • From: "Tom Schaefer" <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:18:41 -0500

My last post being such a downer, I'll give some uplifting news- around
these parts anyway.  The property is one big nursery now.  Young of all
sorts being seen and heard.  Mallards, wood ducks, hooded mergs, pb grebes
(a first), least bittern, green heron...  Killdeer babes and females on
eggs, spotted sandpipers and a vast array of passerines.  Downy, hairy,
red-bellies, wb nuthatch, rb grosbeak, indigo buntings; and the list goes on
and on.  Cedar waxwings just started to colonial nest in the firs.  Chipping
sparrows in every other evergreen much to the chagrin of nesting Cooper's
hawks.  And a northbound flock of pine siskins going back where "they
belong".  And grasshopper sparrows at one of my bluebird trail sites- new
for the county.

Wonder if all that predicted nest failure in Canada will send those birds
southbound earlier.

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County